Free Motion Quilting - Heart Shaped Leaves

 

Month one of my practice for the January Free Motion Quilitng Project Challenge is completed (which is more than I can say for my kitchen renovation - but I am not bitter!)

The design for this month was heart-shaped leaves. The hard part about this particular design is turning the leaves in different directions. Being the perfectionist that I am, I wanted to evenly distribute the direction of the leaves.









I practiced drawing the heart shaped leaves first.












 
I then drew something of a  compass on my paper, to practice drawing the leaves at multiple angles, without moving the paper. After looking at the picture I just took of this drawing I see another problem....can you see it?  ALL of my practice drawing leaves faced inward to the center of the compass.


I think the fact that there is a point on the end of the leaf, makes it more difficult for me. I seemed to be obsessed with he direction of the point. Had it been a curved leaf on the bottom, the directional thing would have been easier....does that make any sense at all to you?








I then moved to my practice quilt sandwich. I used an old practice quilt, so that is why you see the gold stipple quilting in addition to the leaves.
















Notice the burr in the thread....a speeding problem. I have to make myself slow down in this process.










.






This is how the tension looked on the back to start with.....notice the thread "burr"




I think I finally got a decent tension, after some adjustments.....my bobbin thread is the non-gold stitching you see here.











Are you participating the Free Motion Quilting Challenge? You can join us at any point, and it is a great opportunity to challenge yourself with a new skill.
If this is your first time visiting my little home here in blogland, be sure to take a look at my free patterns page, by clicking on the free patterns tab at the top of this page.

Until next time,
Piece!
All graphics, images and content on this blog (unless stated) are the intellectual property and copyright of Michele Hester and www.quilting-tutorials.blogspot.com. I'd be thrilled if you'd like to use one of my photos! Please link back to this blog when doing so. Please do not post entire tutorials or any other content *such as posts* found on this blog without my written consent first. Thanks so much! ©2009-2012 All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting - it is my only "payment" for blogging.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...