Join Taste of Home on December 10 to "bake a difference."
As you may know, in addition to my passion for quilting, I have a passion for food. What you may not know, is that I also have a passion for those who are homeless - especially families. During this time a year, all of these passions seem to come together in many ways. One such way is through the Cookies Across America campaign. As a Taste of Home Field Editor, I have been asked to help promote this campaign. During December, I will be baking and taking cookies to two of our local homeless shelters.
You too, can paticipate in this campaign to reach out to others in need.There are more ways to participate than just making a batch of cookie. You could host a cookie exchange or perhaps organize a food drive (for cookie ingredients.)For more information you can go to the Taste of Home website:More about Cookies Across America
Won't you take a moment to deliver some special treats to someone during the month of December? Many of us have way more than we need, and sharing some cookies can be a great way to brighten someones day!
So how about a recipe?
Original NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies RecipeOriginal NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe 48 Servings
- Prep: 15 min Cook: 9 min Cooling: 15 min
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) Nestlé® Toll House® Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 4 dozen cookies.
If omitting nuts, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars.
FOR HIGH ALTITUDE BAKING (5,200 feet): Increase flour to 2 1/2 cups. Add 2 tsp. water with flour and reduce both granulated sugar and brown sugar to 2/3 cup each. Bake drop cookies for 8 to 10 minutes and pan cookie for 17 to 19 minutes.
Originally published as Original NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies in NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Annual 2011